Participate in the Pop Up Archive contest, win a SoundCloud Pro account!
This is a guest blog post by 2012 SoundCloud Community Fellows Pop Up Archive. They’re hosting a mashup contest so use your noggin and creativity to come up with something neat! Photo by ogimogi Introducing the Pop Up Archive Mashup Contest 2012: bring archival audio to life for your chance at a free SoundCloud Pro account! Take a stab at showcasing the hidden value of archival audio for the first ever Pop Up Archive Mashup Contest! We’re soliciting mashups of up to three minutes in length, centered on three themes (up to one submission per person, per category): Ambiance, Election Season, and/or Voices. You can find the sets at http://soundcloud.com/popuparchive/sets — take a listen and follow the rules below to contribute your mashup before Wednesday, October 24th at 12:00 noon PT. If we pick you as a winner, you could find yourself on the receiving end of a free SoundCloud account! And thanks to SoundCloud Community Fellows Guidebooks, Working Now, Detroit Audio Tour, Life Advice Radio, DecodeDC, RandomTape and The Truth for sharing your audio! How it works:
- Listen through and pick some audio from the three sets we’ve curated for you, centered around three themes: Ambiance, Election Season, and Voices.
- Download any tracks you want to remix and get to work! At least 50% of audio materials must come from the clips in the Pop Up Archive mashup sets.
- You can mix and match tracks between the sets, as long as the finished mashup is under three minutes in length and fits one of our three mashup themes.
- We repeat: the time limit for submissions is three minutes. That’s 180 seconds.
- Upload your track to SoundCloud and submit your entry by adding it to the Pop Up Archive Mashup Contest Group: http://soundcloud.com/groups/pop-up-archive-mashup-contest-2012.
- For extra points, once you’ve mixed your audio, illustrate it using the interactive storytelling tool Zeega, or Mozilla’s PopcornMaker. You can request the beta version of Zeega here: http://alpha.zeega.org/register/ and get direct access to PopcornMaker here:http://popcorn.webmaker.org. They play nice with SoundCloud audio! Just click the “Share” button under your SoundCloud track and use the “Link” provided as your media source for either editor. Then add timestamped maps, images, video, or just about anything else you’d like (PopcornMaker works best with Firefox, surprise surprise).
- If you created an interactive piece using Zeega or PopcornMaker, submit it to us directly: popuparchive at gmail dot com. Feel free to link to it in the description of your audio track on SoundCloud, as well.
- Proper Creative Commons licensing is required. Attribute yourself by name and indicate which non-commercial Creative Commons license you have chosen for your mashup.
- Your submission must also include attribution (with hyperlinks) for the material you have remixed from the Pop Up Archive mashup sets. You should do this in the description field when you upload your track to SoundCloud.
- All material from outside the Pop Up Archive mashup sets must be original, or used under a CC license.
- Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, October 24, at 12:00 noon Pacific time. We’ll pick one winner per theme, to be announced on Friday, October 26. Each winner will receive a one year SoundCloud Pro membership.
Click here for full rules, terms, and conditions. PS. Did you miss Pop Up Archive’s free online archival training on October 9? Lucky for you and your disorganized media, we’re doing it again. Join us on Tuesday, October 23 at either 10am or 2pm PT — details and registration here.